Door County knows that winters can be long and cold here, but with (1) a few Layers, (2) a hot Thermos, and (3) some Midwest Sensibility, you can enjoy the beautiful outdoors on the Door Peninsula this February. From cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, and ice skating, to snowmobiling, winter kickball, and pond hockey, there are a ton of ways to get outside this winter, so what are you waiting for? Just remember to stay warm…
1. Layers – don’t kid yourself, winter is cold, and especially when you’re going to be near the water, you should be insulated. If you don’t own long underwear or thermal undergarments, a pair of flannel pajamas can be substituted – just tuck them into your socks (of which you might consider 2-4 pairs depending on thickness) and pull your jeans on over them. Appropriate foot wear is also a must when standing on the ice all day!
2. Thermos – even if it’s just hot water, having a warm thermos to hold on to can make all the difference in keeping your fingers mobile; and a hot beverage to warm your core is even better. And – going back to layering – gloves are great for dexterity, but a pair of mittens that your gloved hands fit into offer excellent insulation.
3. Midwest Sensibility – remember to keep moving (easy to do with all the great games, activities, and live music to dance to at these winter festivities). Moving around will keep you warmer, and burn a few calories so you can enjoy all the hot food and beverages guilt-free! And please remember – it really is cold out there, so take advantage of the businesses and restaurants who are open and inviting you in to warm up between activities.
Fish Creek Winter Festival
The 28th Fish Creek Winter Festival offers a variety of entertainment options including Ice Sculpture Carving, live music with Big Mouth, a screening of “Feed the Fish” at Door Community Auditorium, indoor and outdoor winter games including a Kickball tournament, Snow Shoe Dance, Tandem Ski Race, Candlelight Ski/Hike, and the 6th annual Fruit Loop Run. Enjoy free trolley rides through town, an Ugly Sweater Contest, the Rock and Roll Snow Dance, and lots of great food. On Saturday check out the Chili Cook Off under the heated tent, visit the Old Town Hall from 10-5 for the Gibraltar Historical Association’s “All things Chocolate,” and from 11-3 stop by the Peninsula School of Art for “SOUP!” Wander the town for fabulous pre-season shopping at local businesses, and warm up inside Fish Creek’s restaurants. For more information visit Fish Creek online, call (800) 577-1880 (920) 868-2316, or email email@example.com.
Where to Stay:
AppleCreek Resort in Fish Creek Resort is located at the top of the hill in Fish Creek and has various rooms to choose from including hotel-style rooms, a private guest house, and suites, including Honeymoon Suites. Offering their Fish Creek Winter Festival Special (Feb 6-8, 2015): 2 Night packages in Suites w/ private whirlpool & fireplace $299pk-$369pk or Hotel Style Rooms $149pk -$249pk. Always call for the best Rates & Packages: (920) 868-3525
Homestead Suites in Fish Creek is located on Main Street in the heart of Fish Creek. With Peninsula State Park as a backyard, you can practically bike, hike, walk, snowshoe, or ski right from your hotel room or condo door. Reserve the Conference Room where you can sit by the fire, play cards or watch the big game! Offering their Manager’s Special Nov.-April: Stay 2 nights and get a 3rd night FREE (some restrictions may apply). (800) 686-6621.
Baileys Harbor Winter Carnival & Pond Hockey Tournament
The 2nd Annual Winter Carnival, sponsored by the Baileys Harbor Community Association and local businesses, will be held February 6-8, 2015 on the ice of Kangaroo Lake where 8 rinks as well as a beer and food tent will be set up! Live Music with Dead Horses kicks off Friday night at Door County Brewing Company where hockey teams for the Door County Pond Hockey Tournament can check in. Start Saturday morning at the Baileys Harbor town Hall for the Annual Great Waffle Breakfast hosted by The Ridges, then head to the ice for Snow Radar Runs, timed trial courses, and the Pond Hockey Tourney, and live music with Dirty Deuce gives you an excuse to dance and warm up from 3-5pm. On Sunday enjoy the Winter Farmer’s Market at the town hall and take home some delicious preserves and handmade gifts. For more information, visit Baileys Harbor online, call 920.839.2366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where to Stay:
Nelson Lakeview Suites & Motel is on the water in the heart of Baileys Harbor, offering reasonable rates on rooms with great water views! Overlooking the Marina, boat slips are available. Waterfront suites offer fabulous views and accommodations, and Air-conditioned suites have full kitchens with microwaves, refrigerators and coffeemakers; satellite TVs; queen-sized beds and can accommodate 2-6 people. Open year round. Call for reservations 920.839.2326.
More great Baileys Harbor lodging options with Winter Carnival DISCOUNTS can be found at BaileysHarbor.com.
Check out our Romantic Lodging Specials and Packages blog for more great places to stay throughout February in Door County, and don’t forget to DOWNLOAD the Door County Chefs FREE Mobile Dining Guide App to find Open-in-Winter restaurants on the Peninsula!
Recent News & Deals
- Holiday Dining in Door County, WI
- December 2022 – Last Minute Lodging in Door County, WI – Winter Markets, Holiday Tree Lightings, Christmas in the Village, Polar Plunge & NYE Festivities!
- November 2022 – Last Minute Lodging in Door County, WI – Winter Markets, Tree Lightings, Christmas by the Bay, Capture the Spirit, & Holly Days!