November 22nd will mark the 16th Annual Jacksonport Thanksgiving Day Parade. This quirky, eclectic parade was put in to motion by local northern Door County residents as a means of breaking up a long day of eating and provide a venue for helping neighbors in need.
The parade is built upon the theme of neighbors helping neighbors, raising money for community members in need. This year’s recipient is a 14 year old going through chemotherapy for a Germinoma brain tumor. Chris Lorona, a Gibraltar freshman, has had two surgeries already which removed approximately 70% of the tumor. The remaining 30% is now being treated with chemotherapy. Chris has two more rounds of chemo and then six weeks of radiation to follow. He will possibly have one more surgery after that. Chris and his parents, John and Amy Lorona, travel to Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee about every three weeks for the treatments. Chris’ upbeat attitude and dedication to keeping his grades above average illuminates the strength this young man shares with his friends, family and the community. Grey ribbons and wristbands are being distributed to support the Cure for Chris and brain tumor awareness cause.
Past parades have raised money for “Feed My People,” breast cancer research, a young mother with brain cancer, Go Bo, Randy Pluff and more. As long time parade organizer, Jeri Taylor, steps down, the Gibraltar Business Association for Youth (GBay/DECA) will take the reins to keep this wonderful tradition going. The high school business students are hosting a 52 card raffle to be held at JJ’s after the parade. Anyone wishing to donate for the raffle or the benefit in general can contact Mary Witteborg at 743-7216. Or contact any GBay/DECA member at Gibraltar High School.
Parade viewers can expect another interesting blend of assorted floats and characters mixed with our traditional honor guard, a Jacksonport fire truck, some horses and maybe even a camel. Word on the street is that Santa and Mrs. Clause will be there, too. The high noon parade will begin at the Jacksonport Fire Station; take a right on Highway 57 to Mike’s Port Pub where it will turn around and end at J.J.’s of Jacksonport. Anyone wishing to participate in the parade should be at the Jacksonport Fire Station by 11:15 am for staging, interviews and line-up.
For more information on parade participation, contact Sue or Joe Jarosh at 920-823-2288 or benefit contact Mary Witteborg at 743-7216.
Recent News & Deals
- Holiday Dining in Door County, WI
- December 2022 – Last Minute Lodging in Door County, WI – Winter Markets, Holiday Tree Lightings, Christmas in the Village, Polar Plunge & NYE Festivities!
- November 2022 – Last Minute Lodging in Door County, WI – Winter Markets, Tree Lightings, Christmas by the Bay, Capture the Spirit, & Holly Days!